Sampson Regional Medical Center was dedicated in 1950 as Sampson County Memorial Hospital. Originally built with 100 beds, the hospital was considered one of the most modern of its size in the country. From 41 personnel and a 20-member medical staff in the 1950s, the hospital is now one of the county’s largest employers, employing nearly 600 people. Through the years, the hospital has undergone numerous major expansions—the first of which was completed in 1956, bringing the addition of an emergency room, radiology, central sterilization, a recovery room, medical records, and storage facilities. With the hospital’s 100 beds taxed to capacity, the hospital began a new construction project in 1960, which included the addition of 45 beds, the expansion of the administrative area, additional diagnostic radiology facilities, relocation of the morgue, renovation of the kitchen, and installation of a central vacuum and oxygen supply system. By 1967, the hospital increased its bed capacity to 170, added a physical therapy department, and expanded or upgraded several other areas.
Today, Sampson Regional Medical Center is a 146-bed hospital and health system that services as a training facility for medical students, interns, and residents. We proudly are one of only a handful of independent, community based hospitals remaining in North Carolina. Accredited by The Joint Commission, our system offers a range of medical services including acute and skilled level care, outpatient surgery, emergency and critical care, and women’s and children’s services. Specialties include general surgery, orthopaedics, obstetrics and gynecology, ophthalmology, and urology. We also provide valuable outpatient services such as physical therapy and diagnostic imaging in state-of-the-art centers, advanced wound care with hyperbarics, home health, and a premier Health + Wellness Center. Hospital practices include primary care, women’s services, a pain center and urgent care.